Thursday, March 22, 2012

Book Review - Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult

Summary:

In the wild, when a wolf knows its time is over, when it knows it is of no more use to the pack, it may sometimes choose to slip away. Dying apart from its family, its stays proud and true to its nature. Humans aren't so lucky.

Luke Warren has spent his life researching wolves. He has written about them, studied their habits intensively, and even lived with them for extended periods of time. In many ways, Luke understands wolf dynamics better than those of his own family. His wife, Georgie, has left him, finally giving up on their lonely marriage. His son, Edward, twenty-four, fled six years ago, leaving behind a shattered relationship with his father. Edward understands that some things cannot be fixed, though memories of his domineering father still inflect pain. Then comes a frantic phone call: Luke has been gravely injured in a car accident with Edward's younger sister, Cara.

Suddenly everything changes: Edward must return home to face the father he walked out on at age eighteen. He and Cara have to decide their father's fate together. Though there's no easy answer, questions abound: What secrets have Edward and his sister kept from each other? What hidden motives inform their need to let their father die...or try to keep him alive? What would Luke himself want? How can any family member make such a decision in the face of guilt, pain, or both? And most importantly, to what extent have they all forgotten what a wolf never forgets: that each member of a pack needs the others, and that sometimes survival means sacrifice?

Review:

I love Jodi Picoult!!! I was really concerned with all the animal talk in the summary, as I have no interest in wolves. But oh.my.goodness this book kept me on the edge of my seat. Were they going to let him live or die? Could bro/sis relationships be mended? And let me just tell you, the secrets that came out in the courtroom literally dropped my jaw. About every 1 or 2 chapters, it is from Luke Warren's perspective (living with wolves and sharing their actions). It was actually very interesting and makes you think twice about wolves and their behaviors. Of all Jodi's books that was not my ABSOLUTE favorite, but I did really enjoy (she has so many better ones).

Highly recommend, although I would try this author out on a few more first if you have never read before. (My Sister's Keeper, Nineteen Minutes, and Perfect Match are great!)

Linking up to this site:

2 comments:

Wiz said...

I have only read Nineteen minutes but I loved it! This one sounds good too. I will have to check it out!

Heather said...

Everyone says such good things about this author!