Friday, May 25, 2012

Book Club - Winter Garden

Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah


Summary:

Meredith and Nina Whitson are as different as sisters can be. One stayed at home to raise her children and manage the family apple orchard; the other followed a dream and traveled the world to become a famous photojournalist. But when their beloved father falls ill, Meredith and Nina find themselves together again, standing alongside their cold, disapproving mother, Anya, who even now, offers no comfort to her daughters. As children, the only connection between them was the Russian fairy tale Anya sometimes told the girls at night. On his deathbed, their father extracts a promise from the women in his life: the fairy tale will be told one last time—and all the way to the end. Thus begins an unexpected journey into the truth of Anya’s life in war-torn Leningrad, more than five decades ago. Alternating between the past and present, Meredith and Nina will finally hear the singular, harrowing story of their mother’s life, and what they learn is a secret so terrible and terrifying that it will shake the very foundation of their family and change who they believe they are.

My Review:

I have read this author's books before and while none really stick out, I still like her. I found this book at a library sale for 25 cents and figured I had nothing to lose (other than a quarter). I think this book started out a little slow, but once it picked up it was so good. I think I read the last third in one sitting. And the last chapter, I read over and over crying. I rarely cry reading books! It is a pretty light read over all and well worth it to get to the end.

Linking up Here:


5 comments:

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

Have you read Firefly Lane? That one is my favorite Kristen Hannah book! I haven't read this one yet though.

Victoria said...

i like kristan hannah, firefly lane is one of my faves.

i remember this book was decent but sort of slow/sad....


happy weekend!

Shoshanah said...

I've heard great things about Kristen Hannah's books, although I've yet to read a single one. But from what I've heard I do think I'd enjoy her books, so eventually I'd love to try one.

Wiz said...

I have bawled in both the Kristen Hannah books that I have read. I rarely cry either and if I do, its just a tear but hers get me everytime.

Janie said...

This one has been put up for voting in my book club many times, but it's never "won" - I put it on my to read list though because it sounds like such a good book.