Thursday, May 17, 2012

Book Club - Defending Jacob

Defending Jacob by William Landay

Summary:

Andy Barber has been an assistant district attorney in his suburban Massachusetts county for more than twenty years. He is respected in his community, tenacious in the courtroom, and happy at home with his wife, Laurie, and son, Jacob. But when a shocking crime shatters their New England town, Andy is blindsided by what happens next: His fourteen-year-old son is charged with the murder of a fellow student.

Every parental instinct Andy has rallies to protect his boy. Jacob insists that he is innocent, and Andy believes him. Andy must. He’s his father. But as damning facts and shocking revelations surface, as a marriage threatens to crumble and the trial intensifies, as the crisis reveals how little a father knows about his son, Andy will face a trial of his own—between loyalty and justice, between truth and allegation, between a past he’s tried to bury and a future he cannot conceive.

Review:

I have been wanting to read this book for awhile. It struck me as a cross between John Grisham (law) and Jodi Picoult (controversy). Boy, was I right. This book was soooooo good. It is a really long book, but I read it pretty quick as it kept my interest the whole time. It is very well written and you aren't sure what the "answer" is the whole book. The last few chapters were completely unexpected and oh.my.god the ending completely blew my mind (do not read ahead). I loved this book and will be looking up other books by this author.

Join me in linking up here:


3 comments:

C said...

This book is on my list! I haven't heard anything bad about it. Can't wait!

Stopping by from the linkup :)

Shoshanah said...

I have heard about this one and do think it sounds like a really interesting idea. It's definitely one I'd be willing to pick up.

Heather said...

Wow, this one sounds intense! It sounds like a movie description.