Thursday, September 6, 2012

Book Club Friday

Book Club Friday - Between the Sheets and Still Missing

I may be slacking on the overall blogging, but I still tune in for Book Club! I have been slightly obsessed with all things Disney, but I will get back to regular blogging soon.

Between the Sheets by Jodi Picoult and Samantha Van Leer






Summary:


What happens when happily ever after…isn’t?
     Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book—one book in particular. Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah.
     And then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook prince. He’s a restless teen who feels trapped by his literary existence and hates that his entire life is predetermined. He’s sure there’s more for him out there in the real world, and Delilah might just be his key to freedom.
     Delilah and Oliver work together to attempt to get Oliver out of his book, a challenging task that forces them to examine their perceptions of fate, the world, and their places in it. And as their attraction to each other grows along the way, a romance blossoms that is anything but a fairy tale.

Review:

I have honestly not read "Young Adult" since I was well, a young adult. So when I first heard that Jodi Picoult (my fav author) had written a new book, but it was YA, I wasn't very interested. Then I read a review on this link up and was intrigued. I love fairy tales and since Abby is 3 1/2, I am having a blast watching all the Princess movies with her. 
I absolutely adored this book. I am pretty sure that I devoured it within a day. I thought it was incredibly well written, creative, and just a really fun read. The characters were all so likeable and you just rooted for Delilah and Oliver the whole time. 
I highly recommend it as just a fun read (and it will make you second guess your favorite books). Personally, I can't wait for Jodi's daughter (the co-writer) to write more! 

**********************

Still Missing by Chevy Stevens


Summary:

On the day she was abducted, Annie O’Sullivan, a thirty-two-year-old Realtor, had three goals: sell a house, forget about a recent argument with her mother, and be on time for dinner with her ever-patient boyfriend. The open house is slow, but when her last visitor pulls up in a van as she’s about to leave, Annie thinks it just might be her lucky day after all. Interwoven with the story of the year Annie spent captive in a remote mountain cabin — which unfolds through sessions with her psychiatrist — is a second narrative recounting the nightmare that follows her escape: her struggle to piece her shattered life back together, the ongoing police investigation into the identity of her captor, and the disturbing sense that things are far from over. The truth doesn’t always set you free. Still Missing is a shocking, visceral, brutal, and beautifully crafted debut novel about surviving the unsurvivable — and living to bear witness.
Review:

The first 2/3 of this book were just downright scary as crap. Chill bumps scary. I literally screamed out loud on page 186. Did I mention that my hubs was out of town? I triple locked all windows and doors. 
This story is told in the present tense with Annie recounting everything to her psychiatrist, so that does make the present and past a little confusing. Especially as she isn't fully healed from her experience (but goodness, who wouldn't be?).
The ending was not at all what I expected and I was actually disappointed. Shocked, but disappointed. More for what Annie had to experience more than anything.
But another highly recommended book, just make sure you aren't home alone!

I had excellent books to read this week!

Linking Up Here:





2 comments:

Heather said...

Eek. I'm super intrigued about Still Missing but I also don't think I'd sleep at night if I read it!

Wiz said...

BOth of these books are on my to read list. Glad you liked them.

I am so behind on my book club postings. I am reading more than I ever have before and love it. Who knows if I will ever read again when baby three gets here (other than middle of the night feedings, ha!)