Thursday, January 24, 2013

Book Club Friday

Book Club Friday!

Bright Lights, Big Ass by Jen Lancaster



Summary:

Jen Lancaster hates to burst your happy little bubble, but life in the big city isn't all it's cracked up to be. Contrary to what you see on TV and in the movies, most urbanites aren't party-hopping in slinky dresses and strappy stilettos. But lucky for us, Lancaster knows how to make the life of the lower crust mercilessly funny and infinitely entertaining.

Whether she's reporting rude neighbors to Homeland Security, harboring a crush on her grocery store clerk, or fighting-and losing-the Battle of the Stairmaster- Lancaster explores how silly, strange, and not-so-fabulous real city living can be. And if anyone doesn't like it, they can kiss her big, fat, pink, puffy down parka.
Review:

I am currently obsessed with Jen Lancaster. See last post. I may not be a big city gal, but I cracked up at her stories about her neighbors. Who doesn't have an odd neighbor? In this book, she has written her first book, but contrary to popular belief is not a millionaire. So she works temp jobs, which are fabulous. I also have to add she has a ton of * in her work and then notes at the bottom of the page. I don't normally like this (switching back and forth), but she is so DURN funny that her notes at the bottom are actually my favorite. I just started my third one tonight and am totally hooked. 

I Hate Everyone...Starting with Me by Joan Rivers

Summary:

Joan Rivers is a groundbreaking, award-winning, internationally renowned entertainment goddess. She’s also opinionated—especially when it comes to people she hates. Like people who think giving birth is a unique achievement. Or well-adjusted, a.k.a. boring, ex-child stars who don’t even have a decent addiction.

With all of her diverse experiences, it stands to reason that Joan has seen, done, said, and heard a lot of hateful things. Thank god, she took notes.
Here—uncensored and totally uninhibited—she give the best of her worst to First Ladies, closet cases, hypocrites, Hollywood, feminists, and overrated historical figures. And even when letting herself have it, Joan doesn’t hold back in this honest, unabashedly hilarious love letter to the hater in all of us.

Review:

Wow. I am pretty thick-skinned. And I realize that Joan is a comedian. I love Fashion Police, especially after the awards show. BUT, this book was brutal. And just annoying. She is mean to everyone - young/old, skinny/fat, celebrity/non-celebrity. It got the point that all I could think was "I would hate to be this bitter." I realize that she is just trying to be funny, but enough is enough. For her to put it all down in one book was way too much for me. I read this book off and on for about a week. Then got my new Jen Lancaster (see above) and immediately traded bitch-ness for good old fashioned humor. When I googled Joan to get this summary and picture, I was shocked at the amount of books she has written. I hated this book and won't read another!

Linking Up Here:

No comments: